Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The White Death

Have you heard of the "White Death?" If you're buried in snow right now, you know exactly what it is. In news, we joke about the name, because our coverage can be a little overboard. Let's be honest -- we behave like the sky is falling. Take cover! But, people do watch. Viewership on snow days is off the charts. People want to know the forecast. When is the snow going to start? When is it going to end? How are the road conditions? Can I get to work/school/daycare/grocery store?

I use to think the high level of concern was absurd. It's only snow, people! That was until last month when I made the news. It was the first decent snowfall of the season, and I was involved in one of the first car accidents of the day. It was terrifying. I was on the interstate and suddenly my car fishtailed. I tried to gain control of the car. It didn't work and I remember feeling disbelief -- knowing I was going to get in an accident. I hoped my car wouldn't flip, but somehow I knew it was going to happen. In a matter of seconds, my car spun out of the center lane, slammed into an embankment and then flipped over landing on its top. I was hanging upside down thanks to my seat belt. The roof was crushed, the windshield and windows had exploded into bits of glass. There was a strong smell of gas.

I wiggled my toes and my fingers, taking stock of each and every body part in 30 seconds and then breathed a sigh of relief. I was okay. I was okay! My next thought was finding my cell phone -- no luck. Later I would find my bag pinned underneath the car. I still don't know how that's possible -- did it fly out of a window before the car flipped? In the end -- I crawled out of the car and got the help I needed thanks to a good samaritan. Days followed of neck and back aches, dizziness and vomiting. A week later I was as good as new.

Something still isn't right, though. Driving is different. I'm a little nervous, and that means I'm more cautious. Oh, and snow sparks a new reaction. I drive like I'm 85 years old. Yes, when you see the slow-poke going 20 mph in the right lane -- it could be me. I'm also yelling at you -- calling you names that essentially mean I think you're driving too fast and being irresponsible!

So, the snow is a big deal. Maybe the sky isn't falling, but it has taken on a different meaning for me. As a child it was snow days and sledding. It was wonderful. As a reporter it became long days and a dozen live shots out in the cold. It was a nuisance. Now, it's intimidating. It's a reminder of how lucky I was to walk away from a horrible car accident. It also means I'm ready for Spring.